Thursday, May 8, 2008

Dicks for Jesus

Happy fun chart No. 1 in this post shows that even if Hillary Clinton wins 85% of the vote in the remaining contests, she still loses in pledged delegates.


The second chart shows that if she breaks 86% in West Virginia and Kentucky, she gets all of those states' delegates and Obama gets none. If she attains 86% then continues on to sweep the rest of states by 85% or better, a winner is she.


This threshold is, of course, impossible.

*****

Word on the internets is that Democratic Party insiders want Clinton to stay in until Oregon, because it is believed she would win West Virginia and Kentucky even without campaigning there - and that being defeated by a candidate who had already conceded would be embarrassing for the nominee.

Whatever.

I wouldn't care if she stayed in until August if she stopped the horseshit. Today she was offered a deal on Michigan, 69 delegates for her, 59 for Obama. Seems generous, I think they should split Florida and Michigan 50-50 each. Clinton turned it down, she wants 72 delegates (55%) and she wants the remaining 45% of the delegates split in half, 39 for Obama, the rest stay Uncommitted.

Horseshit.

I truly don't understand the minds of her supporters. It's like they want a Democratic version of George W. Bush - stubborn, duplicitous, vindictive, arrogant and corrupt. I remember early on, Obama supporters were considered "cult-like." I'm sorry, but at this point, it's the die-hard, dead-ender Hillary supporters who strike me as the cult here. At least the ones who still think she should be the nominee no matter what the pledged delegate count and popular vote say.

Don't get me wrong, my girlfriend preferred Hillary over Obama, but she's sick of it now and doesn't seem to mind Obama being the nominee. My mother ended up voting for Hillary, but said she really had no preference. She had brought up voting early a week or two before the election, so the Sunday before the election here, I said, "Hey, do you want to go early vote?" So we went, but afterwards she had said that if I hadn't said anything she probably would've not voted at all. Oops. Now she thinks that Hillary should just drop out.

It's the people with the glazed over eyes that want to see her win the nomination no matter what - and no matter what means tearing the party in half and bombing the general election. Hillary Clinton, her supporters and the DLC-types have been making a calculation since 1992 that if Democrats run as Republican-Lites, they can just take the Democratic base for granted and bring enough Republicans over to win. In hindsight, I say that this strategy works great when you have a conservative-leaning third party candidate like Ross Perot on the ballot, but otherwise you're fucked. Republican voters vote for Republicans - period.

What hurt Al Gore more in 2000, Ralph Nader on the Green Party ticket, or Joe Lieberman (who is now endorsing John McCain) on his own? Hindsight, hindsight, but as a 2000 Nader voter, I think if Al Gore had been Al Gore, y'know the one he's been since after 2000, and had he chosen any Democrat besides Joe Lieberman and Zell Miller as his VP, maybe he would've won that election - as in won it big enough that no amount of fuckery could've changed the results.

The whole thing's a joke at this point anyway... almost 50% of polled Hillary supporters in the Indiana and North Carolina exit polls said they'd support McCain in the general over Obama. McCain who wants to keep American health care as-is. McCain who wants to keep fighting in Iraq until we don't suffer any more troop casualties, and then stay there 100 more years after that magical goal has been met. McCain who wants to appoint more Supreme Court Justices in the style of Roberts and Alito, who both voted to make it harder for employees to sue their employers for GENDER DISCRIMINATION and who would, despite what they said in their Senate confirmation hearings, overturn Roe Vs. Wade in a heartbeat. Yeah - I can really see that happening.

*****

DVD's I own but haven't watched:

Opera - Dario Argento movie. I want to watch it with the girlfriend, but we never seem to get around to it.

Eraserhead - I need to see this, but for some reason never get around to it.

No Country for Old Men - Gemma just got me this for my birthday. I meant to see it in theaters, even before it won the Oscar. I really, really did.

X-Men 3 - I won this at work. I'd never seen the first two X-Men movies, and I don't like seeing sequels without seeing the originals... and I'm just not that interested in the X-Men.

DVD's I've watched instead:

Superbad - The last time Gemma visited was for my birthday, and we were making birthday cupcakes in the kitchen while my mom and her boyfriend watched this movie. I thought the part where the fat kid talks about how he compulsively drew dicks as a kid was hilarious, so after Gemma left for the weekend, I watched it. The little kid drawing dicks scene is the only worthwhile thing about this movie. I didn't like The 40-Year-Old Virgin either, so I'm pretty much done with these movies.

Batman Begins
- Saw this in theaters, caught it on HBO, caught it again on regular TV, bought it on impulse standing in the check out line at Best Buy. Rotwang's right, I'm gay for Batman.

Invader Zim Vols. 1, 2 and 3 - A few years back, my roommate's girlfriend borrowed Vols. 1 and 2 from a friend of hers, and, without realizing it, I had watched all of them. Flash forward to last Valentine's Day and Gemma gave me the box set and I watched all of 1 and 2 again, followed by volume 3. Some day, I'm going to talk like GIR all fucking day at work. I MADE IT MAH-SELF!!!

Day Watch - This movie premiered in Russian theaters on Jan 1st, 2006. April 2006, my girlfriend bought a DVD of it off ebay, not realizing it was a bootleg. (I have a theory at this point that every-fucking-DVD on ebay is a bootleg.) We sat down and watched it and ruined it for ourselves because we loved Night Watch so much. The last 20 minutes of the disc skipped horribly. It was legitimately released in October 2007, so I told Gemma she needed to buy it for me for Xmas. It was exactly the same movie, and, honestly, it's no where near as good as Night Watch. Sorry!

The Stuff - Back in 2005, I got my first DVD player (I had resisted the format for years) and decided I would collect low budget horror movies. I thought I found the jackpot on eBay, all kinds of movies that I couldn't find in stores at really cheap prices. Bootlegs. Every-fucking-DVD on ebay is a bootleg. Every. Fucking. DVD. I bought The Stuff, and it had screens on the back of the case that weren't in the movie!!! I thought my DVD was missing content. So, last fall, I bought a legit copy from Amazon.com (that's where I buy most of my DVDs now - you can find anything and it's reasonably priced). Nope, the movie's just horribly edited. The screens on the back of the bootleg cover must've been outtakes or some shit - I don't know. Oops.

Maybe some other time, I'll post about all the shit I've recorded to my DVR and haven't watched in over a year.

1 comment:

Gemma said...

Well yes I'm sick of Hillary...it's time to move on. But I like it when you mention me in your blog...it should really all be about me ;).