Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Misc.

1) Packers lost horribly to the Giants. That's unbelievably disappointing, I didn't consider the Giants a "good" football team this entire season, and I wasn't the only one, but you can't deny it when they beat both the Cowboys and the Packers in their home stadiums. Since the Giants are on a streak of upsets, maybe they could be so kind as to upset the Patriots. I have nothing but respect for the Patriots players, but what kind of retard organization names Bill Belichick "coach of the year," the same year he got a record half a million dollar fine for cheating? It's hard to be impressed by a team going undefeated when we already know that the coaching staff is perfectly willing to break the established rules, and if those videos of opposing teams' hand signals didn't provide an unfair advantage, it wouldn't be against the rules. Fuck you, NFL.

2) Looks to me like the Waldorf Blofeld is toeing the vaporware line. Supposedly they started shipping a month ago, but there are, like, no user reviews *anywhere* of the damn thing. No Waldorf news came out of NAMM last week, so it's hard to know what's going on there. I joked in a Matrixsynth comment that the Access TI Snow would ship before the Blofeld, someone chided me that the Blofeld has already shipped, but I can only say, "has it really?" at this point. Yeah, some people out there seem to have them, but they all seem to be "prototypes" and bound by NDA's or else someone would have fucking posted at least a "first glance" type of review somewhere by now.

3) Haujobb is fucking awesome. Last August I splurged on a car stereo that could play MP3s burnt to a CDR. It was well worth it, because I can burn over six hours of music to a CDR and listen to it on the six hour car ride to Wisconsin. I put together a CD of Haujobb's Vertical Theory, RMX Matrix, Polarity, Solutions for a Small Planet and Homes and Gardens and it just hit the fucking spot. Every one of those albums feels like the best fucking album ever while it is playing. And Meraud sucks balls for thinking Vertical Theory sucks balls.

4) Rotwang lent me The Call of Cthulu, a movie from 2005 made in the style of old silent movies from the 20's and 30's. It was okay, but the picture quality is too crisp and digital, even though its black & white and has fake scratches and what not. I just wish if they were going for the old look, they went all the way instead of just half way - blur up the picture a little, stuff like that. It looks like it was filmed with an HD camera or something. It's pretty much impossible to adapt Lovecraft to a visual medium successfully, the only exception being Stuart Gordon's Re-Animator, and I have no idea how many liberties were taken there... The Call of Cthulu is short enough at 47 minutes that you can't really go wrong with it. And I have no idea why imdb decided to feature a 1 star review of a movie that averages 7 stars from the user ratings. It's not the greatest, but it really isn't that bad.

5) This is me whenever Virus Control 2.7 comes out in the Spring.

6 comments:

Dr Rotwang said...

The Resurrected is a pretty good adaptation of "The Case Of Charles Dexter Ward". It kept the plot and -most important- the threat, even while updating the setting to the (then) modern era.

I'd say that good Lovecraft adaptations aren't really impossible, just...well, tricky. I wonder if most people attempting adaptations are more interested in the Lovecraft name and less in what built that name.

Mike said...

$9.98 new at Amazon, I might check that out some day.

Gemma said...

Um honey, the '30s was the sound era. Silent movies were big in the teens and '20s. Dracula was 1931, so you can see there were already plenty of good sound films in the early '30s.

Mike said...

I need a woman in my life to nag me.

Oh wait...

Dr Rotwang said...

I could put on a dress.

Anonymous said...

I recently ordered a Waldorf Blofeld via www.Thomann.de - they expected delivery on Jan 31st, and they have now been told to wait till March 31st. So unfortunately it looks like this little beast is rapidly becoming obsolete :o(