Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Apple Logic Pro 9, OS 10.6

Yesterday I had one of my manic days and ended up running to the Apple store to pick up OS X "Snow Leopard" and Logic Pro 9. I had just paid off some car repairs and felt like "celebrating" by putting some shit on my credit card. I'm such a dick.

OS 10.6 installed flawlessly on Gemma's MacBook. No problems there whatsoever. However, on my iMac, it would not install. The instructions suggested first unplugging all peripheral devices, and I have a lot: Virus, MOTU 828mkII, USB hub, two FireWire external hard drives. I did all that, still no luck. Next suggestion was to run Repair on the hd. It found no problems. Finally, the last suggestion was to erase the hard drive. Fuuuuuuuck.

Even though I put all files that I have created on the external drives (song files, sampler instruments, etc. etc. etc.), that's still a huge pain in the ass. I did it, and once the hard drive was erased, Snow Leopard installed, but then I had to reload everything once again - Firefox, iPhoto, Waldorf Attack, Virus Control... I was working on this shit from 2pm to about 7pm (a lot of that time is failed SL installs.) Then once that was done I had to install Logic Pro 9, which took forever because all the Logic 8 shit was gone. (I also install all the jam pack bullshit, I'm big on sample fuckery/destruction and it's nice to have lying around.)

Anyways, everything's finally working now. I played with Amp Designer - it's actually pretty neat. Not $200 worth of neat, but neat. I haven't done shit with flex time yet, haven't converted an audio region to a sampler instrument. I tried Bounce to track on the Virus, but there's no "real time" option, so it didn't work. That's alright, it is easy enough to just route Virus output to a bus and then use that bus as an input on an audio track. I'm sure bounce to track will be great for other things.

The only bug I've noticed so far is that every time I bounce a project that has a Virus plug-in, even if I bypass the Virus plug-in during the bounce, when I close the project and open a new one the audio is garbage (out of sync or some shit I guess). I have to quit Logic, then relaunch it. Then everything works. It's a minor annoyance and not a show stopper, so I can live, I just hope we get a 9.0.1 update soon.

No comments: