Sunday, June 15, 2008

French horror just isn't doing it for me...

Watched another movie off the DVR tonight - I recorded this one off of Sundance. The movies I tape off of Sundance seem to consistently disappoint, so I'm thinking that from here on out I'm not recording anymore horror movies off that channel.

Sheitan - A French movie; the title means "Satan." The first hour is a bunch of club kids hanging around and being assholes on a farm, the last forty-five minutes is when stuff happens - but (spoiler alert!) no one dies (spoiler alert!)

The gist of the movie, I guess, is that someone's bringing about the birth of the Anti-Christ. Reading the imdb boards (for whatever that's worth), it seems like there is a legitimate case to be made that there's a lot of symbolism and biblical allusion going on in this movie. Being a heathen myself, it all pretty much just went over my head.

If the first hour wasn't so boring, I'd forgive the movie just on atmosphere and general fucked-up'ness alone. However, the build up is far too slow for the (lack of) payoff that's delivered.

Here's a link to Horror-Movie-A-Day's review. This is one of those movies that seems to send one to "the internets" to get other people's take on it. It's strange, but not exactly good. Probably good to see in a group so everyone can discuss/bitch after it's done.

No comments: