Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I am a gear whore fuck bunny fuck buddy

Logic 8 is out and the cost to upgrade is "only" $200.

I bought Logic v.4 Gold back in late 2000 for about $350. Back then it was by Emagic, and they had three different "levels" of Logic; Silver, Gold and Platinum. I soon dropped another $90 on the ES1 software synthesizer, which was ass and poo, and another $250 on the EXS24 software sampler. Back then I was also using Windows98.

In July of 2002, Apple bought emagic and announced that it was dropping Windows support effective Dec 31st of the same year. At this point my only experience with Macs were the crappy G3 computers running OS9 at school - I had no intention of "making the switch." I tried and absolutely hated Cakewalk/Sonar and Cubase and I hadn't heard of Ableton. For some reason, I decided it would be a good idea to buy a package that included Logic 5 Gold and the emagic emi 6|2m audio interface for ~$400 off of ebay. The emi 6|2m interface was pretty poopy, six audio inputs, two audio outputs, all of them RCA. That's asstastic. Logic 5 also wouldn't run on anything past Windows 98, so I had my computer dual boot Win98 and WinXP.

In the Spring of 2004, I got it in my head that I needed Logic's ES2 synthesizer and EVOC20 vocoder. Logic 5 had a feature where you could demo any of the additional Logic software instruments for 30 days, so I did that and then placed a bid on the Logic Synthesizer collection on ebay. This was a disaster. The Logic synthesizer collection included the ES2, EVOC20 and a filterbank plug-in that I can't think of the name of right now. What I didn't realize was that Apple was no longer allowing people to transfer their licenses - to be fair, I don't think the ebay seller I bought it from did either, but when I found this out, his solution was to attempt to avoid it altogether. Fortunately, I was able to make out the guy's cellphone number from the FedEx label and after I made it clear to him I wasn't going to stop calling him, he sent me my money back. I offered to ship him the box of invalid software licenses and manuals (No CDs, all this stuff was *in* Logic 5 already, you just needed activation codes), but he declined and told me to keep 'em. Maybe he thinks I scammed him, whatever. In the end I dropped $125 on the synthesizer collection new from some place in the UK.

Math break: $350 + $90 + $250 + $400 + $125 = $1215.

In the Summer of 2004, the music department at college got funding for a massive music studio upgrade and I was hired on to help sort it all and put it together. Not much got done, because many integral pieces of equipment quite frankly never got there by the end of the summer, but I did have a chance to set up some hot new G5 Macs with OS X. Wow - huge improvement. I absolutely despise, to this day, Mac OS 9, but OS X had me reconsidering my entire opinion of Apple Computers.

In October of 2004 I was commissioned to compose music for a ballet via the school, so I was laying things down on my Logic 5 Windows set up at home and then bringing them to school to work with the Macs running Logic 6. After the ballet came and went in February of 2005, I took the plunge and got a refurbished, last gen G4 12" Powerbook with Logic Pro 7; the cost to upgrade Logic was $300 + $10 to upgrade to the latest version, 7.1. It should be noted that Logic Pro 7 came with all the previously sold separately software instruments included!!! Had I never bought es1, es2, evoc20, and exs24, I would have gotten them for the same price anyway. That always feels nice.

In April of 2007, I had some money saved up from working my first *real* job, so I splurged on a refurbished Access Virus TI. Unfortunately, in order to get the full use of the Virus TI's ability to "Totally Integrate" with Logic, it turned out I needed to upgrade to Logic Pro 7.2, another $50.

Mathbreak: $1215 + $300 + $10 + $50 = $1575

Logic 7.2 Pro sold new for $1000. Logic 8 Studio sells new today for $500 and includes all kinds of extra stuff above and beyond everything Logic 7 included.

I'm not posting this as a rant against Apple or to say any of this is unfair - it's just how professional/productivity software is. Logic 8 as of today still doesn't work completely the way it's supposed to with the Virus TI, but that's something that Access is going to have to figure out, I guess.

Mathbreak: $1575 + $200 = $1775.

Rock on.

No comments: